New England Worker Burned in Machinery Accident

Last Monday, a 42-year-old technician was airlifted to the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston following a wave soldering machine accident.

The machine reportedly caught fire and burned the worker from the chest up when he opened a service door on the machine to add an alcohol-based chemical, according to the fire marshal. A sprinkler above the machine put out the fire before the fire department arrived at the scene of the accident.

The worker, who was identified only by the first name of Scott, was conscious and alert when emergency responders arrived. Officials said his injuries are not life-threatening. Representatives from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are planning an accident investigation to determine if any safety standards were violated. The company released other workers early on the day of the accident.

Man burned in accident on the job in Salem, Eagle-Tribune, June 9, 2009
NH EMS Worker Burned in Wave Accident,, June 12, 2009
Contact our Massachusetts workplace accident law firm for a free initial consultation.

Contact Information