The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has partnered with Barr & Barr Inc, a construction management company, to use the construction of Amherst College’s New Science Center as a model for workplace safety. Barr & Barr will create a health and safety plan, establishing benchmarks and goals for subcontractors to meet or exceed.
The workplace health and safety plan, which will be administered by qualified safety and health representatives, will include the following elements:
- Weekly project safety discussions with subcontractors.
- Quarterly safety stand-downs.
- Reviews of upcoming projects.
- Analysis of workplace hazards.
- Evaluation of the partnership on an annual basis.
Plan evaluations will be consistently reviewed and evaluated by OSHA to ensure that training is effective. At least one representative from OSHA will attend monthly review meetings. “Our common goal is to ensure a safe and healthful working environment at the construction site and for this project. Partnerships bring together recognized best workplace practices and create success,” said OSHA’s area director in Springfield, Mary Hoye. A MA work injury lawyer can help you determine how to proceed if you’ve suffered a work-related injury or illness. If negligence played a role in your injuries, you may be entitled to additional compensation.
Strategic Partnership Program
The project, which is estimated to cost about $195 million, includes the construction of the 250,000 square foot, four-story science center. Signed in January 2017, the project is scheduled to conclude in August 2018. The Amherst project is one element of the larger Strategic Partnership Program, which OSHA established to recognize voluntary efforts of partners to eliminate serious hazards in the workplace.
“We are delighted to enter into this partnership with OSHA for the Amherst College New Science Center. It is our belief that this partnership agreement will enhance the entire team efforts to provide state-of-the-art safety programs, and will be a major benefit to the men and women building the project,” said executive vice president and chief operating officer of Barr & Barr, Stephen Killian. If you have been injured on the job, it is essential to consult with an experienced Boston work injury lawyer as soon as possible.
OSHA Worker Rights
Everyone is entitled to a safe workplace under federal law. Your employer must provide a safe workplace that is free of safety hazards and health risks. If you are concerned about the safety of your work environment, you have the right to report the issues without fear of retaliation. The following are worker rights, protected by federal law. If you feel that any of your rights are being violated, you can report your concerns to OSHA.
- Workers should receive training in a language they understand.
- Workers must be able to work on safe, properly maintained machines.
- Workers should have access to essential safety gear.
- Workers must be protected from toxic chemicals.
- Workers can request an OSHA inspection at any time.
- Workers can report illness or injury.
- Workers may obtain a copy of their medical records.
- Workers may obtain a copy of the workplace injury log.
- Workers may obtain a copy of work-related injuries.
- If tests are conducted to identify hazards in the workplace, workers may obtain a copy of the results.